Sunday, August 31, 2008

The Joy of Naps

I have never been a napper (in my adult life - apparently, I was a perfect sleeper when I was little and slept about three times as much as Ellie did). I normally take hours to fall asleep, which makes napping pretty useless.

But this last month, I have needed naps like never before. When Ellie and I are home alone, she often lets me sleep for 30-60 minutes while she plays on her own. Isaac has been very kind on weekends to let me take 3-hour naps in the afternoon. This afternoon, I told him that I wasn't very tired, but that my back hurt and I needed to lie down. Three blissful hours of nap later, I emerged refreshed.

Why can I nap for three hours and not need to go to the bathroom, but I can't do it at night? Maybe that's why naps are so good! Isaac says it might be because I view naps as a pleasant bonus with no pressure, but feel pressure at night to get a good sleep. Whatever it is, I am so much more comfortable physically during a nap than at night. Maybe it's having the whole (double) bed to myself!

No comments: