Sunday, November 30, 2008

Christmas Survey

  • Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? Both. One is warm and one is cold, so they are needed at different times. And the egg nog MUST have nutmeg on it.
  • Colored lights on tree or white? White. But if the girls want colored lights on their tree, that's fine. As long as they're not flashing!
  • When do you put your decorations up? As soon as I can convince Isaac to help me. It's usually the day after Thanksgiving, but I was lucky this year!
  • What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? Mashed potatoes and gravy.
  • Favorite holiday memory as a child? My parents and I opened gifts on Christmas Eve after dinner. I was very eager, of course. One year, my mom and I went into the living room to prepare to open presents and my dad decided to clean the oven because he noticed it needed cleaning. We've never let him forget it!
  • When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? I always knew he was pretend and always thanked my parents for Santa's stocking. I was strictly forbidden to discuss this with any of my friends, though.
  • Snow! Love it or dread it? Love it. Fresh snow is beautiful and fun. I always believed that if it was going to be cold, there might as well be snow on the ground. However, now that I am a parent and have to put boots on and keep my family from tracking snow through the house, I really appreciate dry sidewalks.
  • Can you ice skate? Yes. I grew up on a lake and remember pretending I was in the Olympics (lack of talent didn't stop my imagination!) Unfortunately, Isaac doesn't enjoy it and so far Elizabeth doesn't either.
  • Do you remember your favorite gift? My dad made me a wooden dollhouse and painted it red with white shingles. I can't wait to give it to Elizabeth when she's old enough to appreciate it.
  • What's the most important thing about the holidays for you? I love the special-ness; everything seems exciting and more special. I adore the music, lights, food, and opportunities to spend time with my family.
  • What is your favorite holiday dessert? Egg nog, mint meringues, Andes mint cookies, cornflake wreaths with red hots, my mother's fudge and caramels, peanut butter kiss cookies, and the list goes on and on. However, I don't like pumpkin pie or pecan pie.
  • What is your favorite tradition? I can't limit this to one: the candlelight service on Christmas Eve, the annual Scott family carol sing (actually, any carol sing!), decorating the tree, Christmas Eve with my family, sleeping over at Isaac's parents, the Hollidazzle parade, and on and on!
  • What is your favorite Christmas Song? I love to hear "O Holy Night," but I won't sing it in front of anyone but Isaac! I also love "The First Noel" and "What Child Is This?"
  • Ever recycled a Christmas present? Yes. Especially when I was teaching and got really nice, expensive generic gifts. I miss those! Is re-gifting really so bad? I like getting gifts that other people don't want!

For you blogging people, this is a meme I copied from Baby Tunnel Exodus. I won't assign it to anyone, but if you want to do it, I'd love to read your answers!

No comments: