Friday, July 30, 2010

Visiting Cousins

We got to see my so-far-southern-MN-they-might-as-well-be-SD cousins last weekend. We met them not-quite-halfway at Minneopa State Park in Mankato. It sure was fun! I've only gotten to see them a handful of times since I've been an adult, and hanging out with them left me remembering how fun they are and wanting more!

Elizabeth is right between their two boys in age, and the kids ran off exploring and hiking together with whichever adult would take them nearest the waterfall. Amelie stuck close and didn't demonstrate any of her brave and impish qualities. Here's a picture of my cousin Ben and my aunt Sandra, who laugh exactly the same.

Ben offered to carry Amelie's backpack for the hike, but she was having none of that. That was all right - if my mom and aunt could do the hike, I could do it with a backpack!

The big kids loved finding caves and places to climb. Ben was usually right in there with them, and I really wished Isaac would have been able to come - he and Ben are hiking kindred spirits! Who knows where they would have ended up?

I'm hoping for a whole weekend of camping with these cousins next summer. One afternoon wasn't quite enough.

No comments: