Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Running with Amelie

Elizabeth and I went for a run on Sunday evening, and when I got back (monkey see, monkey do), Amelie was waiting for her turn - wearing her pajamas. Unlike Elizabeth, Amelie is not known for her endurance. Or her ability to focus on a task. Or her desire to reach a goal (i.e. return to our house).

However, we set off down the block, me wearing my still-sweaty running clothes, and Amelie wearing tennis shoes and a jacket over her pajamas. Amelie held my hand as we ran, and loving said, "I love running with you, Mama. Let's go really far far away, all the way across the street."

As we passed the third house, she said, "Tell me when you feel like walking, cuz we can walk."

At the fourth house, she said, "Let's walk."

So we walked for a while. At the end of our block, I suggested turning around. No such luck. We kept going.

At the second block, Amelie balanced on the sidewalk gutter.

At the third block, she sat down and collected leaves. I started doing walking lunges to combat the boredom. She liked that idea and started lunging as well.

At the fourth block, she walked backward.

At the fifth block, I gave up on running and simply enjoyed the distractions with her.

Eight blocks later, we were back home. I probably should have given up earlier!

No comments: