Friday, November 25, 2011

Lots to Write About Nothing New Here

There's not really anything new going on here, but in my efforts to keep posting for my in-laws I thought I'd try!

We spent a nice Thanksgiving Day at Isaac's aunt and uncle's house. What a blessing to be served a Thanksgiving meal and not have to cook it yourself! I think I thought that at least 10 times that morning.

Before the big meal, Isaac and I took turns going out for runs. We've found we feel much better about ourselves that evening when we take a nice long run beforehand. Too bad we haven't made this a habit on more days than just Thanksgiving! Then we took the girls out for a 1/2 mile Gobble Run around the neighborhood, gobbling at the top of our lungs. Amelie, in particular, excelled at this.

On our way to Thanksgiving, we talked about what we were thankful for. When I was growing up and we did this, I used to get frustrated with the people who said "God." I felt it was a Sunday School answer and obligatory and didn't reveal anything about their lives. Boy, was I wrong. That was much more revelatory about my own relationship with God at the time. This year, Isaac and I both answered with different aspects of God's character that have meant the most to us lately - and meant it.

We're learning about what it means to be part of the body of Christ. We feel good about ourselves when we get to be the giving, helpful part of the body. It's uncomfortable for our pride to be on the receiving end, but good for us in the long run. We are very grateful for our friends who are growing with us and caring for us as part of the body.

In other news: We managed to take apart the one window in our house that we have never figured out how to take down and clean - whew! We set up our Christmas decorations. We successfully hosted a dinner party for 10 members of Isaac's team at work, and learned that wild rice soup was the favorite of the four soups I made. Elizabeth is playing Christmas songs on the piano every chance she gets. Amelie refuses to practice the songs for the kids' Christmas program at church, so I sing "Away in the Manger" by myself every chance I get in hopes of her learning it anyway. Amelie had no sooner recovered from an ugly rugburn on her chin than she got sidewalk burn on her little nose and lips. Elizabeth is happy because her favorite Christmas shirt from last year still fits. Misty is excited about the ornaments on the Christmas tree. I am excited to roast the 25 pound turkey I bought before Thanksgiving.

Apparently, I had more to say than I thought. My husband would probably testify that this is a regular occurrence!

No comments: